The moon has captivated us since the dawn of time. It’s guided our way on the darkest of nights and governs the ocean’s tides. There are myths and stories about the moon from every ancient culture, and it’s still a central part of many religions and spiritual paths. Here we break down the basics of lunar magick into easy-to-digest chunks including the moon’s phases, magical properties, correspondences, and more.
Moon Phases: The Magical Basics
The moon seems to grow and then fade over the period of one lunar cycle (one month). This growing, reaching its full potential, and then diminishing is referred to as moon phases. Each moon phase has magical qualities that aid the individual in his or her magic and healing. Here are the basic moon phases and their lunar magick properties:
- New Moon: when the moon begins its next cycle; magic includes new beginnings, new opportunities, wiping the slate clean and starting over “anew”, new friendships, new love, etc. I also perform my cleansing rituals on the new moon.
- Waxing Moon: when the moon grows in size before reaching its fullest; magic involves “growing” things in your life including success, relationships, abundance, healing, love, beauty, money, etc.
- Full Moon: to some one of the most powerful moon phases; moon is full size; magic includes love, healing, protection, intuition, dreams, connecting with the gods & ancestors, reaching your “fullest” potential, water magick, and divination
- Waning Moon: when the moon seems to fade or grow smaller; this lunar magick includes getting rid of or diminishing things like bad habits, illness, addiction, toxic relationships, and also includes releasing, banishing, and cleansing rituals
- Dark Moon: The Dark Moon is the few days before a New Moon when the moon seems to be completely gone. I’ve found the dark moon is perfect for shadow work and to recall past lives.
Our Connection with the Moon
Why is the moon so important when it comes to magick and spirituality? The moon pulls at the ocean’s tides, and since we’re made up of at least 60% water, it has a profound effect on our lives too. Ever notice how certain people get a little loony on the Full Moon? The terms loony and lunatic stem from the word lunar which means moon. There’s a reason people act differently on the Full Moon, and when we tune into the moon’s phases, we start to notice just how much the moon effects us and our surroundings. Cops and nurses know how much the full moon can affect people. Just ask them. The Full Moon also increases paranormal activity, which you can read about here.
The Female Body & The Moon
Just as the moon is reborn, grows, reaches its fullest potential, then wanes again, so do our bodies. For thousands of years, women have noticed their moon cycles (menstruation – the syllable men meaning moon/month) syncing up with the moon’s phases. This is lunar magick at its core. Just as the moon waxes and wanes, so too does the womb. This is why the moon is often associated with the Goddess in neopaganism and Wicca.
The Triple Goddess & Our Lives
Wiccans associate the Triple Goddess with the moon’s phases: the maiden (waxing moon), the mother (full moon), and the crone (waning moon). We all go through these phases in our lives (both men and women) corresponding to our physical bodies: youth, adult years, and our elder years. And corresponding with
READ MORE HERE: https://otherworldlyoracle.com/lunar-magick-beginners/